Wednesday 3 August 2011

Day one

The rest of today was amazing. In the morning I thought I had to check out of my room, but turns out I didn't have to. So I went straight back to my room, put my stuff back where it was, and then headed out to explore.

I ended up finding Castel Sant'Angelo in record time. The heat was pretty intense at about 30 degrees, so I stopped for a seat in the shade of the gardens that surround it. They're lowered as if it's a moat surrounding the castle. I had a sudden realisation that I was sitting in the place that I'd read about as a kid and done some extensive extra-curricular Wikipedia research about. It was a really strange and significant feeling, like being surrounded by history, and thinking about what might have happened there thousands of years ago. I've been having this feeling all the time here!

So after I'd finished being overwhelmed, I realised I hadn't eaten breakfast so I had a panini and an icy drink on the banks of the Tiber. I went for a walk around the Castel, but didn't go inside because the queue was too long. I basically went for a huge walk all around the ancient bridges and statues, along the Tiber and through winding cobblestoned alleyways, but didn't commit to visiting anything in particular except for the Castel Sant'Angelo.

Then I decided I would make my way to the Vatican City to have a look around the outside before the guided tour that's on for tomorrow. The scale of the place is difficult to express. I just sat and stared at everything for some time. I can't help but think, if I'm this impressed by the outside, how am I going to feel tomorrow? I sent some postcards and had a look at some of the market stalls, and then decided to go home just as the heat was at its worst. I got a bit lost on the way back but I didn't mind it. Got there in the end.

I met everyone for the Contiki tour at 4pm after I got back. Everyone is really nice! We got all our forms together and fixed up all the little housekeeping details of the tour, then we did a walking tour at 7pm.

First we went to see the Spanish Steps, which are only 10 minutes walk from the hotel. A couple of the boys were told to drink from the fountain in front for some reason, and they did so, but I wouldn't have done it! It was so beautiful but very crowded, we got some good photos. Then we went to the Trevi Fountain which blew my mind, I kept thinking about La Dolce Vita by Fellini. I threw some coins into the fountain! I wish I could be more concise about it, but I'm pretty tired at the moment. I had the best time.

Next we went to see the Pantheon which I loved the most. Another moment where history slapped me in the face. I couldn't stop staring at it. The second best part about the walking tour (apart from the attractions) was that it gave everyone on the tour a chane to mingle and get to know each other outside of the hotel.

Lastly we went to Piazza Navona which was the perfect place to get dinner. A big group of us went to a lovely little restaurant which cleared and set up their upstairs section for us, and we had the best meal of bruschetta, salads and spaghetti, pizza and lasagne. So delicious, especially after walking all around the city.

After dinner, we went to get gelato and walk back to the hotel. I had dulce de leche and tiramisu gelato! The best I've ever had.

And now I'm going to bed. My roommate and I are watching Jersey Shore. Tomorrow I'm seeing the Colosseum and Imperial Forum. Then it's off to the Vatican City to see the Vatican Museums, St Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel!

No comments:

Post a Comment