Saturday 13 August 2011

Day Ten

Today was our travel day from Athens to Istanbul! Our big group split off into two little groups in the morning and we headed to our cruise ship, the M/S Louis Cristal, at 10 in the morning. It's the first time I've ever been on a cruise ship so I was pretty nervous about becoming seasick but so far it hasn't been too bad.

That morning, however, I was incredibly hungover from the night before so the boat felt like it was swaying more than it should have been. We organised all our optional activities early on in the day and had a clear schedule on the ship to do whatever we wanted because it would take 24 hours to get from Athens to Istanbul by sea. So we decided to first have a nice lunch at the buffet dining room, sort out our on-board accounts and have a look at the shops, do a bit of internetting, and then have a look outside. After a while we decided to get some sunbaking done and I fell asleep immediately, but thankfully had the presence of mind to turn over after a while so both my sides have a fairly even tan.

By the end of the day I was feeling really queasy with a combination of a persistent hangover and the first time of staying on a ship for an extended period of time. So I stayed with the Contiki group at the ship disco (totally naff but fun) for a little while before I started falling asleep on my feet. Then I went to bed, fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, and woke up at 5am still fully dressed and without having brushed my teeth. I felt as if it were the first day in Rome and I was extremely jetlagged again. Thankfully my new roommate is just as deep a sleeper as my old one so I was able to get dressed and brush my teeth without waking her up.

So that day was a bit of a "nothing" day but at least I now know what it's like to be hungover on a cruise ship.

Istanbul tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment