Sunday 21 August 2011

Day Seventeen: One Day in Athens

So after the previous night's drunken celebrations, we all managed to be off the ship and ready with all our bags by 7am, which I think is an absolute miracle. We took the bus to Syntagma Square, where we all said our goodbyes and headed off in different directions. It was especially sad to say goodbye to the Contiki kids who I'd been with since the beginning of the month! Seems like a really long time ago that the tour began and we were just getting to know each other. We were more like a family by the end.

I only had to walk one metro station down Ermou St and then I was back in the beautiful suburb of Monastiraki. Luckily I was able to check in early at my hotel because I really needed to continue sleeping.

After waking up, I decided to wander the streets of Athens and see what I could find, which is probably my favourite thing to do in such a beautiful city. I wasn't able to wander at leisure during the tour, apart from when we had free time, so it was nice to have a whole day to myself, to discover the city for myself. The good thing about Athens is that there is something either ancient or interesting on almost every city block.

First I walked to the Ancient Agora, the birthplace of democracy, where men met to discuss politics and morality. It was also the site where Socrates did a lot of his philosophising. I was still a bit tired so I just sort of sat there for a while and took everything in.

Then I came across Hadrian's Library, not 5 minutes from where I was staying, right around the corner from the Agora. Hadrian is probably my favourite Roman emperor so I was excited to look around the place. The columns, steps and one wall are still standing, but not much else is. Still, when you think about what it would have been like as an ancient library, I would give anything to take a time machine and do some more exploring.

Then I wandered back to the Agora and to the Tower of the Winds, which is probably the oldest example of a clocktower. The friezes on the top of the tower are still intact - rare that someone hadn't stolen them for their personal collection - and depict the eight wind deities of Ancient Greek mythology that correspond to directions on a compass.

After my mini tour through Ancient Greece, I decided to do a spot of shopping at the Monastiraki flea market again. I found the most amazing vintage book/toy/homewares/war memorabilia shop where the old man owner accused me of taking photos inside the shop, which I denied because I hadn't taken any photos, and somewhere in the middle of the conversation we became the best of friends. I ended up spending ages in there just talking to this old guy about Athens, and by the end when I wanted to buy some things, he discounted them so heavily that I didn't need to haggle the price. The shop was going to close down in a fortnight and as I left, the man called out to me, "Promise me one thing - never forget me or my shop!"

Then I went to another shop that was a totally intense experience because it was full of beautiful antiques, but in piles that you physically had to sort through. I ended up finding something incredible but I'll save it for a surprise when I get back home! The owner was a bit gruff but became nicer when I asked about the cat that seemed to always stay at his feet, no matter where he walked. As it turned out, the cat's name was Mortis, and the owner saved his life a couple of years ago when he nursed him back to health after having been hit by a car. Now, Mortis never leaves his side and comes to work with him every day. I even got to pat and cuddle Mortis, which was good because now I've had my cat fix and don't feel the uncontrollable need to pat all the cats I see on the street.

My last stop of the day was a total coincidence but a very happy one! In Athens there are shops everywhere selling sandals that claim to be handmade but you can kind of tell that they aren't. There was a style I had my eye on but none of the shops ever had my size - another sign that they were mass produced somewhere that doesn't cater to above size 9. Anyway, I was walking in a new direction and saw some amazing street art down an alleyway. I walked down and took a photo, turned around, and found the sandal shop of Melissinos, the Poet Shoemaker! As it turns out, all the sandals sold in the markets are direct copies of his designs, except not handmade and way more expensive. So I had to get some sandals made while I was there, in the style I was looking for the whole time! The fact that he has made sandals for John Lennon and the rest of the Beatles didn't hurt either. I tried on the Lennon style sandal but they didn't suit me. If you want to Google this amazing shop, I got design #12, the Gallico!

After blowing my budget for the day I thought it would be best if I went back to the hotel to catch up on my emails and to collapse on my bed under the air conditioning. I got a text from two Contiki lovelies who were staying on in Athens for the night as well, and we decided to meet up for dinner in the Plaka area. 

We had a huge platter of Greek delicacies at a restaurant next to another ruined ancient structure whose name I didn't catch. There was a family of cats and kittens sleeping amongst the fallen columns which we thought was so cute.

After dinner it was time to say goodbye to my friends, which was sad because we'd had so much fun together over the last sixteen days.

I headed back to my hotel and started packing up my things to get ready for my flight the next day. As has been the case for most of my trip, I fell asleep accidentally without getting changed or brushing my teeth. And that was my last day in the magical city of Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment